word of the week...what do YOU think?

10:38 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
been working on this one and the more i think about it the less i think about it...
EXPECTATION(s)
books encourage us not to give it place in relationships so as to not be disappointed...
my sister's marriage blog implies that expectations can imprison a spouse...
in a conversation with a friend the other day it was said that i (yes ME) expect too much..
i've read that expectations are common relationship 'happiness-busters'...
EXPECTATION(s)
even my horoscope this week read:
"although your expectations are founded upon realistic factors, experience should have taught you that life seldom offers a sure thing. 
don't be disappointed if you don't get all that you hoped for".
EXPECTATION(s)
well i disagree & feel quite the opposite regarding expectations:
how can a relationship with one's mother, sister, lover, co-worker, neighbor or friend survive without
EXPECTATION(s)?
we expect those we deal with to be courteous & honest / our children to listen to our advice / to get paid for our efforts @ work / our friends to support our decisions....and on and on.
could it be that the problem lay not with the presence of expectations, but with the absence of communicating them before, during and post-mortem an infraction?
therefore, in lieu of trying endlessly to rid myself of having expectations,
i have chosen to check and refine my thoughts, feelings and actions
WHEN expectations are not met...
let me know what  you think...
and don't expect me to agree!  ;-)





3 comments:

victoria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
victoria said...

An interesting thought...

I was just talking about this a few days ago w/ a friend. We discussed how so often we are hurt by all types of relationships when "expectations" aren't met.

So, should we NOT have expectations? Wouldn't that mean we would be lacking goals as well?

I like the way you think - refine the way one thinks about "expectations" and, perhaps, be prepared for them NOT to be met. Realize that not all relationships are perfect and will meet your 'expectations'. That gives us room to grow...

((phew... quick thoughts on a quick prep from my students))

Life with Linda said...

I EXPECT this will be very controversial!

I love you!

and may I say that you and your "girlz" have MORE fun dancing at weddings than anyone I know!!